Basking in the sun is a summer rite of passage. Unfortunately, too much time outdoors can eventually give you visible skin damage. If you spend even a little time outside, you should examine yourself for signs of premature aging so you can stop it in its tracks.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are a few telltale signs that the sun got the best of you:
- Increased irregular pigmentation and wrinkles
- Liver spots, age spots, solar lentigines
- Labial lentigo, which is a single spot that appears on the lips after exposure to sunlight
- Sagging skin, deep wrinkles and vertical creases
- Melasma, a dark brown blemish that typically appears on the face like the cheeks, forehead, nose and chin
- Poikiloderma, or reddish-brown pigmentation usually on the neck and chest
- Solar keratoses – scaly patches found on the ears, face and lower arms.
Because sun damage not only affects your physical appearance but threatens health, it’s important to treat your skin and have your skin checked by a professional. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, overexposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer and pre-cancers over time. However, regular skin examinations and proper care can reverse signs of aging and reduce your chance of getting sick.
When you visit Metamorphosis Aesthetic Spa we do our best to thoroughly look at what the sun has done to your skin. If we see something we think you should have a dermatologist look at – we’ll let you know!